On-The-Job Training & Apprenticeship
By Martin Ventura
Earn While You Learn 
Gaining experience while earning an income is a key component of the military. The Veterans Administration (VA) recognizes this and has extended its education benefits program to incorporate this facet of learning. Veterans and their dependents now have the opportunity to continue their education and gain work experience through the On-The-Job & Apprenticeship Training program.
On-the-job training and apprenticeships offer benefits not found in traditional classroom settings:
- Learn in a real-world setting from experienced employers.
- Participate in programs that range from 6 months to 2 years.
- Receive certification or journeyman status upon completion.
On-the-job training and apprenticeships provide the freedoms to learn with the security of earning a salary:
- Salary is paid directly by the employer or union.
- Salary increases as skill level increases.
- GI Bill payments supplement salary income.
Choose from a list of employers in industries such as:
- Air traffic control
- Law enforcement
- Fire fighting
A complete list of participating employers in your area can be found by using the Weams Institution Search.
On-the-job training and apprenticeships allow employers and students to work towards a common goal.
Employers benefit by having:
- An ever growing pool of proven employees to recruit from.
- Loyal employees due to federally supplemented incomes.
- Security from forecasted terms of commitment under program requirements.
- Dedicated training, which maximizes efficiency of learning and productivity.
Employers wanting to participate in the program may do so by contacting their State Approving Agency.
Applying for the program can be done using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). The process is simple by following the VA prescribed “Road Map for Success.”
Step 1: Determine the best benefit for you to use
Step 2: Collect the required paperwork and information
Step 3: Choose a school by searching for participating schools in your area
Step 4: Compare the programs to
Step 5: Apply online using VONAPP
 United States Department of Veterans Affairs, “On-The-Job & Apprenticeship Training.” 11 Dec. 2011 <http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/education_resources/programs/on_the_job_apprenticeship_training.html>