Here are some questions and answers about the WAVE in regards to the GI Bill.
What does WAVE stand for?
WAVE stands for Web Automated Verification of Enrollment for the GI BIll.
Who uses the WAVE GI Bill system?
The GI Bill WAVE System is used for three major GI Bill beneficiaries.
- MGIB – Active Duty – Chapter 30
- MGIB – Select Reserve – Chapter 1606
- REAP – Reserve Educational Assistance Program
What is the point of WAVE – GI Bill?
Do I have to use the WAVE system if I have the Post 9/11 GI Bill Chapter 33?
What can I do in WAVE?
- Verifying your school attendance
- Report a change in your attendance
- Update or change your mailing address for benefit checks
- Start or update direct deposit information.
- View the enrollment period
- View how much you have in benefits left
- Sign up for a monthly email reminder - WE STRONGLY SUGGEST THIS!
Here is a link to the main WAVE site
Only your School Certifying Official can increase the number of credits you are enrolled in. The correct thing to do in this case is to verify your enrollment at the lower credits and training time and contact your School Certifying Official to correct the VA records.
NOTE: Schools are not required to report credit hours over and above what is considered "full time" at their school. So, if VA considers 12 credit hours as "full time" and you are taking 15, the school may only report 12. This will not affect your payment rate.
If you have further questions about your account, please contact VA using the "Ask a Question" tab on our web site (in the Questions and Answers section) or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
We generally process requests for Direct Deposit within three workdays of the date they were received. Depending on the volume of requests, many are processed within one workday.
To establish a direct deposit, contact our Direct Deposit center at 1-877-838-2778.
Direct deposit is available for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, MGIB-Active Duty, MGIB-Selected Reserve, and REAP benefits. To enroll in Direct Deposit, please do one of the following:
- Login to WAVE (or create an account if you are a new user). On the WAVE Main page, click on the link that says “Direct Deposit Enrollment Form.” This form can be submitted electronically, or you can print out a hard copy and mail it to your local Regional Processing Office.
- Call our Direct Deposit center at 1-877-838-2778
If you are new to WAVE and your enrollment has not yet been processed, you may not be able to create a WAVE account. You will gain access once your enrollment has been processed
Unfortunately, Direct Deposit is not available for the Dependents & Survivors Educational Benefits-DEA (Chapter 35) and VEAP (Chapter 32).
If you are currently receiving benefits or have received benefits in the last year, the WAVE online system is the simplest way to update your address and Direct Deposit information. This only applies to Montgomery GI Bill or REAP recipients. For VEAP, DEA, and Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients you must contact us via telephone or via the "Ask a Question" tab on top of this page.
To update your Direct Deposit or address online:
- Click here to access the WAVE web site. Click the tab that says "log in instructions" at the top of the page, and follow the instructions to log on to WAVE.
- On the main menu page once you have logged in, click the link to the left that says "Direct DepositEnrollment Form" or "Change of Address" depending on what you need to do. Both procedures can be completed online.
- If you don't have access to WAVE, these requests can be submitted using the "Ask a Question" tab in the "Questions and Answers" section of the GI BILL web site.
To update your Direct Deposit or Address by phone:
You can contact our Direct Deposit center at 1-877-838-2778 to update your Direct Deposit information. Changes of address can be completed by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).